Yonsei Jeesh

"Give a man fire, he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Name:

"The only man who behaved sensibly was my tailor; he took my measurement anew every time he saw me, while all the rest went on with their old measurements and expected them to fit me." --George Bernard Shaw

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

On Growing

Not up, as one might think. Having met me, you'd all realize that I never will :-P

Just yesterday, a friend from high school messaged me via facebook about some stuff, and I couldn't stop snickering over the fact that she went to Furman University. Or, more appropriately, F U.

"Where do you go?"

"F U"

"What? Hey F U, too!"

"Really?? I've never seen you around!"

"WTH?" *walks away

"Hrm, that was weird...."

LOL! Aw man...it's funnier if you know the girl, she's not really the type to swear....I'd say she's fobby, but she's white. Like....the whitest. Not even to be racist, I mean I bet the girl got uncomfortable making "you're only smart because you're asian" jokes. Which aren't really racist because there is a higher incidence of kids being smart who are asian because of the social pressure to be smarter than most other ethnicities. I mean, have you ever been around a truly stupid Asian kid? All anyone ever says to him or her is "DAMN why you so stupid? I thought Asians were supposed to be SMART!"

Now, I'm not talking about those stupid kids who are like "oh I break the stereotype, I'm not really smart" and then spend 12 hours in the library. Ok? Those are not stupid kids. Well, stupid in the sense that they lie about it. But you know what? Fiendish dedication to one and only one task is borne in our BLOOD. How do you think Asia produces some of the world's best gamers? Not because we are inherently superior in games, but rather, our unhealthy dedication, our unwavering attention. Now, that's not to say we're the ONLY ones who can do that, but you must admit, there are more Asians who can dedicate themselves to something than other people.

And it's not always a noble pursuit, like gaming. Often, it can be something as stupid as reading all of the books by one author, over and over again ad nauseum. It can be something like reading comics. There are a LOT of things in this life that people can dedicate themselves to, and let me just say that Asians are finding out more and more every day just what kind of things these things are.

Am I making sense? God no.

So anyway, chilling here in Florida. Found a little tidbit that I felt defined how much life can suck for one person:

On the news broadcast about the impending Hurricane Ernesto, they were interviewing this poor woman who had lost everything to Hurricane Katrina. Apparently, her company that she worked for transferred her to Florida. Uh....let's see, this poor woman lost EVERYTHING to Katrina and now what? You're moving her to the Hurricane Capital of the world?! Riiiight, well that's corporate sympathy for you. Although, I suppose the fact that Ernesto died and became a Tropical Depression (not even a Tropical Storm) and now is just scattered thunderstorms is a strong argument that perhaps the safest place for a hurricane-survivor is in a place most used to weathering hurricanes. I suppose if it was truly truly dangerous, Florida would have been submerged by hurricanes years ago....

And that's my funny/odd tidbit for today. No pics, because they're all on my flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/Yonsei_nerd

--JW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home